It is important you understand what is rapport. The dictionary definition of Rapport, is a close and harmonious relationship in which the people or groups concerned understand each other’s feelings or ideas and communicate well.
To build instant rapport you must understand three elements in your communication to be effective:
1. You must develop instant rapport on both a conscious and an unconscious level. The biggest mistake of new Freight Agents is that they start talking about their lives. This is not how you build rapport with someone. You will develop rapport with someone by getting them to instantly realize you are an expert. When they understand you are a person who can help them achieve their goals and take control of their jobs, they will want to do business with you.
Key Point: You are always building rapport, even after your prospect has signed the application form and you have moved your first load for them, you are still building rapport to develop long term working relationships.
2. You must learn to gather intelligence effectively. There are 15 Must Ask Questions To Move More Freight which have been designed specifically for Freight Agents to ask their prospects. The biggest problem with many people in sales is they talk more than they listen.
Asking the right questions is crucial to understanding exactly what your prospects need.
You can’t accomplish this by barreling through the conversation and hard selling someone. You have to learn elegance, using a consistent, specific method to move the prospect to let you move freight with them.
3. Your prospect will constantly bring objections and will very rarely say what you want to hear and very rarely follows your pre-conceived notion of what should be. Every time your prospect tries to place objections in front of you, your goal is to elegantly keep him or her in line with your goal in a way that empowers him/her.
If you find the conversation is moving away from you goal, simply do two things to keep the conversation within the boundaries of your goal, 1) ask more professional and relevant questions to his/her business goals, 2) listen well and gather more intelligence.
The following two tabs change content below.
Ameri Management, Inc. (AMi) provides American businesses with high-quality, reliable, and affordable Freight Broker related services. Regardless of the type of business you run or the kind of products that need to be shipped, AMi has the right carriers for you. Our Freight Broker related services specialize in moving Full Truck Load (FTL), Less Than Truck Load (LTL), and Intermodal freight across all states in North America. Our years in the industry has helped us gain the experience, tools, and the dedicated carrier relationships needed to offer first-class Freight Broker related services.
Latest posts by AMI (see all)
- 6 Reasons Why Your Shipping Costs Have Been Increasing - September 4, 2018
- Can Shipping Companies Reduce Transportation Costs ? - August 2, 2018
- Introduction Freight Agent Training - August 26, 2016